QPR have completed the season-long loan signing of Juventus wing-back Mauricio Isla.
The Chilean had been with Italian champions Juve for the last two seasons after moving from Serie A rivals Udinese in June 2012.
And, after the 26-year-old s contribution at the World Cup in Brazil, QPR manager Harry Redknapp believes Isla has plenty to offer at Loftus Road.
He s a top player and we re delighted to have him here, he said. He showed his quality in the World Cup for Chile and it s a great loan signing for us.
He s a versatile player, he s full of energy. I’m confident he ll be a really big asset for us this season.
Isla, who has made 51 appearances for his country, added: I am very happy to be here – this is the start of an exciting new adven…
Panama came from behind three times to draw with Qatar, while Honduras swept aside Grenada 4-0 in their opening CONCACAF Gold Cup matches on Tuesday.
In a tight game in Houston, six goals were scored in the second half as 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar hit the lead three times but failed to capitalise.
Panama s Rolando Blackburn levelled the game twice in a flurry of goals in the first 20 minutes after half-time, as Hassan Al Heidos put Qatar up 3-2 from the spot in the 63rd minute. Eric Davis equalised with a 79th-minute penalty.
Honduras dominated Grenada in the later game, with goals from Jerry Bengtson, Edwin Solano, Johnny Leveron and Romell Quioto.
Panama and Honduras will meet on Saturday in Houston after Grenada and Qatar face off at the same venue.…
Sunderland defender Niall Huggins has won his first Wales senior call-up for Euro 2024 qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey.
York-born Huggins qualifies for Wales through his Bangor-born father and has won four caps at Under-21 level.
The 22-year-old former Leeds full-back has been rewarded after some excellent performances for Sunderland which included his first senior goal, a stunning solo effort against Watford at the Stadium of Light.
CARFAN CYMRU
Barod
— Wales
…
Ajax coach Erik ten Hag has extended his contract at the club until 2022, the Eredivisie champions have confirmed.
Ten Hag enjoyed a marvellous season in 2018-19, leading Ajax to the Champions League semi-finals, Eredivisie title and a KNVB Beker triumph.
Ajax drew plaudits for their exhilarating style of play, with youngsters such as Frenkie de Jong who will move to Barcelona next month Matthijs de Ligt and Donny van de Beek all thriving under Ten Hag s tutelage.
And while the futures of some of their star performers remain in doubt, Ajax have at least secured their coach on a long-term deal, with Ten Hag agreeing to a contract extension that will keep him at the club until June 30, 2022.
Op naar meer mooie successen samen met jullie
— AF…
Arsene Wenger says former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira could be a future manager of the Premier League club.
Vieira started his coaching career on the staff of Manchester City and has been in charge at their sister club New York City FC in MLS since January 2016.
The former France midfielder won three Premier League titles and a trio of FA Cups during his nine-year stay at Arsenal and has regularly been touted as a potential Wenger successor.
And the veteran Arsenal manager, rumoured to be departing at the end of the season despite having a further year remaining on his contract, agrees Vieira could be among the names in the frame when the job is next vacant.
He works in the moment in New York and he works for Manchester City, Wenger said of Vieira, wh…
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has been impressed by the club s new signings during pre-season.
Sadio Mane, Joel Matip and Loris Karius have joined the club, who have also been linked to Georginio Wijnaldum and Ragnar Klavan.
Lovren, who headed to Anfield from Southampton in July 2014, said the new boys had settled in well.
You don t need to talk about that [what it means to play for Liverpool], they know which club they came to and they know what people expect from them, he told the club s website.
They also saw our games on television. So they know everything about the club, but we are here to help them adapt quicker. For now, they are doing really quite well.
Every change is difficult in the beginning. I will help them make it easier, like …
Malcom is hopeful of sealing a transfer to Bayern Munich at the end of the season, with Bordeaux president Stephane Martin encouraging the winger to dream.
The Brazilian has established himself as one of the up-and-coming stars of European football this term, netting 10 goals in 33 Ligue 1 games and reportedly earning a five-year contract with Bundesliga champions Bayern.
And while Malcom insists he has no knowledge of such a deal, he would welcome the move.
I do not know, my advisors and I did not talk about [the contract], he told Bild. But if it s true, it makes me very happy. Bayern are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Bordeaux chief Martin is not playing down the possibility of the transfer either, despite a recent denial from Bayern s Karl-H…
Stuart Pearce has blasted Roy Hodgson s decision to include Jonjo Shelvey in the England squad for their upcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers.
Swansea midfielder Shelvey, whose only previous cap came against San Marino in October 2012, was handed a call-up on Thursday, despite Hodgson admitting that the 22-year-old had refused to play for the Under-21 side since his last game in August 2013 versus Scotland.
He would have been asked, if you like, to step back down after, in his eyes, stepping up, Hodgson said.
I believe Gareth [Southgate, the under-21 coach] spoke to him and he was reticent, maybe, to play and as a result Gareth chose other people.
Nottingham Forest manager Pearce, who resigned as Under-21 boss following his side s woeful performance at the…
Fenerbahce confirm Nani talks
Turkish giants Fenerbahce have moved to confirm that they are on the verge of signing Portuguese winger Nani from Manchester United.
The Canaries are believed to have agreed a €6 million deal with the Red Devils, and they moved to confirm that the player was set to arrive in Istanbul to undergo a medical.
“Nani will be in Istanbul on Sunday for medical check up,” Fenerbahce wrote on their official Twitter account.
Nani returned to Old Trafford after a very successful loan spell with Sporting Lisbon, but it soon became clear he would be moving again this summer.
The 28-year-old had another three years to run on his contract at Manchester United, but he, nonetheless, decided to leave the club in search of first …
Stoke City manager Tony Pulis insists his side will treat the FA Cup seriously ahead of their third-round clash with Crystal Palace.
Stoke lost 1-0 to Manchester City in the final of the competition in 2010/11 but were knocked out of the Capital One Cup earlier this season by Swindon Town after Pulis rested several key players.
Ahead of Saturday s clash with Palace, Pulis said that although the league remains his main focus this season, they will treat English football s oldest club competition with respect.
The Premier League is the main priority without a question of a doubt, but we want to do well (in the Cup). We ve proved that we do take the FA Cup seriously, he told reporters.
I ll certainly change one or two because I think one or two need a res…